Thursday, February 9

Day 2 Love Is Not Blind

(I started to develop a weird obsession with Sebastian Bach on Pandora. The harmony offers pure, aesthetic acoustic experience that I seem to can't get enough of. )

To be fair, Love Is Not Blind produced unrealistic dramas. I don't buy the idea of having a guy friend to fight the ex at a friend's wedding. The plot got even more ridiculous when this guy friend proposed to share an apartment with XiaoXian, our female character whose ex boyfriend cheated on her with her best friend.

Another apparent weakness lies in the long monologues by the major characters. The director Teng Huatuo seemed to have deviated a bit from the spirit of movies, which is to tell stories through moving pictures. Emotions are expressed and stories are told through action, not through the characters reading their minds. When actors took on too much of lecturer's role, the movie doesn't look so sincere.

However despite the weakness in the movie production, the plots still made my tears drop. I began to understand the immense popularity this movie earned in theater: the movie pinched the weakest part of the audience' broken hearts. Among the clips that got most search results, was a scene when XiaoXian tried to chase after the taxi, begging him to wait for her, to not give up on her and to forgive her, even though nothing could be farther from the truth that the break-up was her fault. I couldn't help but questioned myself, whether I would have been like her to chase after him, or I would have hesitated to step up. The audience was there too, to suddenly realize that the love is gone. Hearing him step down the white stairs of the house, and finally came the sound of the door, the world felt like collapsing in front of you.

And his car did not stop. XiaoXian was stopped by her guy friend, who had always been there for her. Seeing the car disappearing into darkness, XiaoXian said to her friend that "Thank you." She realized that even though it was all her "stupid pride" that brewed the sad end, self-respect was the only thing she had with her, and she would always have to live with it.

The movie offers diverse perspectives for the audience. What I picked up was that it's ok to feel devastated and it's ok to find it difficult to forget about him/her (in fact, trying to forget everything is simply a denial of past happiness. If breaking up does not make one sad, the relationship would have been a waste of time). However we need to carry on. The past cannot be changed but we can learn from it. Just be a better person and fix the mistakes in the future. It sounds easier to be said than to be done. But there are no other alternatives.

At the end of the movie, XiaoXian's friend turned on the neon commercial light across the street from her office. The light read "FAITH". Yes, one should still have faith. One can't turn back time when two had missed out each other.

Life is short and I am too afraid to miss out more while dwelling in the shadow of the past.

P.S. I had a fantastic time meeting up with old buddies for lunch. And making new friends was a great way to carry on as well.

P.P.S The valentine gift I got for someone has arrived but it's not going to serve its purpose of purchase. I checked it out and had to admit that my diligent headphones research paid off quite well. These black sweethearts upgraded my Pandora experience greatly. Now I don't even want to exchange this pair for the white color. I don't think I can live a night without them now. Valuable lesson learned: spare yourself some love.